OpenFile16 and similar functions

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Tue Jun 19 18:38:12 CDT 2007

Anatoly asked:
> How can I write a test for this function or build program use it?

I think writing good win16 tests requires a 16 bit linker.
Fortunately, OpenWatcom has one, and works on Wine.
It's amazingly easy to install it and build one of its demo apps:
$ wget http://ftp.openwatcom.org/ftp/open-watcom-c-win32-1.6.exe
$ wine open-watcom-c-win32-1.6.exe
$ wineboot
$ cd .wine/drive_c/WATCOM/samples/win/alarm/win16
$ wine wmake
$ wine alarm

This builds an honest-to-goodness win16 binary that works
on XP (possibly with one warning dialog you have to ignore).

Unfortuately, Wine doesn't currently run these win16 apps
properly; they hang with

err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x7b91f300 "syslevel.c:
Win16Mutex" wait timed out in thread 000b, blocked by 000c, retrying
(60 sec)

This is embarassing.  These are the "hello, world" of 16 bit
windows apps, and current wine (well, wine-0.9.37-g3739b5f)
can't run them...

I haven't looked to see if older wine runs these 16 bit demo apps
properly.