VST wrapper

Nathaniel Gray n8gray at caltech.edu
Mon Jun 25 00:22:12 CDT 2007

Hi,

I'm interested in the goal of using Windows VST/VSTi audio plugins on
my Intel Mac in OS X.  I found the fst project, did some porting, and
managed to get a few VSTs to work, which had me pretty stoked.
Thanks to the FST folks and the Wine team for making this possible!

On the other hand, I'd rather have the option of running the plugins
in-process with my DAW software instead of as separate processes
connected by JACK.  I can imagine a super-thin layer of code that
just translates calls between the plugin and the host and allows the
plugin to access the Win32 API.

In case I'm being unclear, here's how it breaks down.  There's a host
application that's native OS X and knows nothing about Wine.  I'd
like to write a plugin that, when it's loaded, will load a windows
dll.  The host will call into the plugin, which will call into the
dll.  The dll will make upcalls to the plugin, which will in turn
call up to the host.  The dll will probably be running a windows gui
as well and making calls to various windows APIs.

So is this possible?  I'm pretty new to Wine and Windows programming
so forgive me if the answer to this question is obvious.  I've seen
plenty of examples of how to build and run .exes that are windows
programs from the ground up, but I've never seen wine used as part of
a plugin.  If it's possible, can you point me to any examples?  What
are the relevant parts of Wine I should look at?

Thanks,
-n8