Direct3D Game test framework

H. Verbeet hverbeet at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 09:18:27 CDT 2007

On 25/06/07, Stefan Dösinger <stefan at codeweavers.com> wrote:
> 3DMark:
> Popular benchmark for testing the overall performance, doesn't give very
> detailed results though.
> Controlling: Standard windows controls, keyboard events should do the job
> Result readback: Can write results to a file, but must take care about the
> licensing. Not everything is free, most likely a license is needed.

Afaik 3DMark can also generate performance graphs.

> Other suggestions?

We could always try writing something ourselves, I guess :-)
The problem there is going to be creating something that's
representative though.

> random elements in the game? More detailed data from wined3d could also be
> used to draw nice graphs for other benchmarks :-)

NVPerfSDK could potentially help there, if the license permits.

> We'll need some hardware diversity too. It would be nice if the tests worked
> on Linux and MacOS, and a variety of hardware was used. I want at least
> nvidia, ati and intel gpu's, older and newer ones. I could also revive my ATI
> mach64 :-)
>
> Any other comments or suggestions? I think once I'm done with the current exam
> season and my patch backlog is in I will retire from direct wined3d
> development for a few days / weeks to set up a testing environment, then
> start fixing games.

One issue I see is actually interpreting the results. When is a
performance drop large enough to be a problem? Sometimes a change will
slightly reduce performance for some applications, but significantly
improve it for others.