user32,wined3d: move refresh rate fallback to catch all cases

H. Verbeet hverbeet at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 02:08:38 CDT 2007

On 27/06/07, Erik Inge Bolsø <knan-wine at anduin.net> wrote:
> On 25/06/07, H. Verbeet wrote:
> >On 24/06/07, Erik Inge Bolsø <knan-wine at anduin.net> wrote:
> >> ---
> >>  dlls/user32/sysparams.c |   13 ++++++++++++-
> >>  dlls/wined3d/device.c   |   10 +---------
> >>  2 files changed, 13 insertions(+), 10 deletions(-)
> >>
> >What was the reason for writing this?
>
> See the comments on
> http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iVersionId=5618
>
> ... essentially, I have a game that's hardcoded to request 1024x768x50hz,
> which is not available on my monitor, and the existing fallback to
> any available refresh rate in wined3d didn't catch it. Haven't traced the
> exact sequence of calls - but figured that since there was an existing
> refresh rate fallback coded, I'd move that a step instead of duplicating.
>
> I can try to trace it down and duplicate the fallback, if that would be a
> preferable solution.
>
> --
> Erik

Makes sense, I guess, although I'm a bit worried if that fallback is a
proper solution in the first place. I suspect the game would fail on
Windows as well if the refresh rate isn't available. Also, the 54Hz
that's mentioned in the appdb page typically means you're using nVidia
drivers with DynamicTwinView turned on (the default), which reports
fake refresh rates.