request to change appdb message

Jesse Allen the3dfxdude at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 16:11:05 CDT 2007

On 6/28/07, Louis Lenders <xerox_xerox2000 at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Ben Hodgetts (Enverex <ben <at> atomnet.co.uk> writes:
>

> > Me and Chris Morgan changed it to this because we were sick of people
> > pasting pages and pages of terminal output into the What works or What
> > doesn't work boxes of the test data which is NOT where it belongs. The
> > information in test data should be written in plain English, not pastes
> > of lots of (mostly useless) terminal output which just looks awful and
> > isn't any use to most users of the AppDB.
> >
> > I agree with point 2 but the problem is most AppDB submitters just...
> > too stupid  to be able to use some sense or judgement about what they
> > are asked to actually put in the test reports.
> >
> > What you'd rather change it to would make the previous situation much,
> > much worse so under no circumstances should it be changed to that though.
> >
> > Ben
>

> Then i would vote for a kind of extra field in which users can paste their
> crash/debug output , but that field wouldn't  get sent into the appdb. Something
> like that should be possible i guess. Otherwise i fear in many cases i cannot
> really judge if the test result lots are valid or not......

No, I don't agree. Bug reports should be filed when the user has a
crash or problem and a log to go along with it. I started asking
people a long time ago to not paste logs anywhere on my appdb pages. I
don't want a scroll bar the size of a flea which can happen with just
one poor log.

Honestly, for a test report, a comment like:

"X doesn't work correctly. Filed bug report: bug Y"

would be wonderful.

I've been slowly pruning all the comments with logs on my page too.
Hope that doesn't upset anyone.