request to change appdb message

Louis Lenders xerox_xerox2000 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jun 29 04:17:59 CDT 2007

Chris Morgan <chmorgan <at> gmail.com> writes:

> How do you normally judge if the result is valid or not? What if the
> result says that everything works?

Basically i'm only talking about garbage test results. If the app is
gold/platinum there's of course no need to paste debug output

>It seems like any result could be faked, and we can't reject a test result
>from
>a user that had problem just because a handful of other users didn't.

Yeah, i agree, there's no way to solve that.

> What else can we do with the issue you raised in #1? If users report
> their app doesn't work but don't report the crash data then at least
> we know the app doesn't work and thats valuable data. If it is too
> difficult to report bugs in bugzilla we should see if there are ways
> to assist with this.

I don't think it's too difficult, most users just don't bother to do this.

> I'm not entirely sure what your point #2 is. You are arguing that we
> want to see crash results in test submissions because then we can
> reply with a suggestion about how to fix the issue? It seems like this
> is exactly the kind of thing we want in bugzilla since it reflects
> issues users have with Wine.

Unfortunately , if anyone would open a bug with the example
>i gave in issue #2,it would be closed immediately with a comment
"Invalid" -> "Closing".

> I guess my point about #2 is that assuming the user didn't do
> something really crazy, the issues the user has tend to be
> deficiencies in wine or its documentation and these really are
> legitimate issues that should be addressed.

Yeah, so maybe we could add a list of "Common failures" to the documention,
 with the solution. I can live with that. Then we could point garbage test
submitters to that page. That would be a nice work around. I'll have to
figure out how wiki works, and then i could give it a shot lateron i guess.

Something like:

Problem:
err:module:import_dll Library MSVBVM60.DLL (needed by L"C:\\app.exe")
not found
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\app.exe"
failed,status c0000135

Solution:
winetricks vcrun60

or

Problem:
wine app.exe
err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {00000514-0000-0010-8000-00aa006d2ea4}
not registered
err:ole:create_server class {00000514-0000-0010-8000-00aa006d2ea4}
not registered
err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object
{00000514-0000-0010-8000-00aa006d2ea4}could be created for
context 0x5
Unhandled page fault etc.........

Solution:
winetricks mdac27