request to change appdb message

Chris Morgan chmorgan at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 10:34:15 CDT 2007

On 6/29/07, Louis Lenders <xerox_xerox2000 at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Chris Morgan <chmorgan <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

> > How do you normally judge if the result is valid or not? What if the
> > result says that everything works?
>
> Basically i'm only talking about garbage test results. If the app is
> gold/platinum there's of course no need to paste debug output
>
> >It seems like any result could be faked, and we can't reject a test result
> >from
> >a user that had problem just because a handful of other users didn't.
> >

> Yeah, i agree, there's no way to solve that.
>

> > What else can we do with the issue you raised in #1? If users report
> > their app doesn't work but don't report the crash data then at least
> > we know the app doesn't work and thats valuable data. If it is too
> > difficult to report bugs in bugzilla we should see if there are ways
> > to assist with this.
>
> I don't think it's too difficult, most users just don't bother to do this.
>

> > I'm not entirely sure what your point #2 is. You are arguing that we
> > want to see crash results in test submissions because then we can
> > reply with a suggestion about how to fix the issue? It seems like this
> > is exactly the kind of thing we want in bugzilla since it reflects
> > issues users have with Wine.
>
> Unfortunately , if anyone would open a bug with the example
> >i gave in issue #2,it would be closed immediately with a comment
> "Invalid" -> "Closing".
>

> > I guess my point about #2 is that assuming the user didn't do
> > something really crazy, the issues the user has tend to be
> > deficiencies in wine or its documentation and these really are
> > legitimate issues that should be addressed.
>
> Yeah, so maybe we could add a list of "Common failures" to the documention,
>  with the solution. I can live with that. Then we could point garbage test
> submitters to that page. That would be a nice work around. I'll have to
> figure out how wiki works, and then i could give it a shot lateron i guess.
>
> Something like:
>
> Problem:
> err:module:import_dll Library MSVBVM60.DLL (needed by L"C:\\app.exe")
> not found
> err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\app.exe"
> failed,status c0000135
>
> Solution:
> winetricks vcrun60
>
> or
>
> Problem:
> wine app.exe
> err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {00000514-0000-0010-8000-00aa006d2ea4}
> not registered
> err:ole:create_server class {00000514-0000-0010-8000-00aa006d2ea4}
> not registered
> err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object
> {00000514-0000-0010-8000-00aa006d2ea4}could be created for
> context 0x5
> Unhandled page fault etc.........
>
> Solution:
> winetricks mdac27
>
> Would that be something useful?

This sounds like a good idea. What about this nutty implementation.

Why not come up with some logic to scan the contents of test results
that a user is attempting to submit to the appdb? We could pass them
through the scanner and repost the test result with additional
comments that would try to address the users issues or at least point
them at the faq.

This would require a minor amount of php hacking but if you wanted to
help out on the php code for the logic and suggestions I could get the
architecture in place. The logic portion should be pretty simple,
compared to knowing where to integrate things.

Also note that we use a test suite with the appdb that can be run from
the command line. This would let us save several example pieces of
text to test that we respond reasonably to different issues.

What do you think?

Chris