illegal characters in file names

Jérôme Gardou jgardou at yahoo.fr
Sat Jun 30 19:57:58 CDT 2007

Le Thursday 28 June 2007 22:51:17 Lei Zhang, vous avez écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I noticed a mismatch between the list of illegal characters in file
> names between Wine and Windows.
>
> On Wine the list of characters is:
>
> /:<>|
>
> and on Windows, it is:
>
> \/:*?"<>|
>
> Is this intentional or something we should fix?
>
> - Lei

All I know is that wine shouldn't use * and ? , since it is used in wildcards
on both Unix and Windows !

The \ character is the separator between directories on Windows, but it is not
forbidden on Unix. Wine is an Unix software, it should be allowed to use it
too !

The " character is apparently not forbidden on Unix, so wine can use it.