AppDB performance issue

Chris Morgan chmorgan at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 16:15:21 CST 2007

On 3/5/07, Alexander Nicolaysen Sørnes <alex at thehandofagony.com> wrote:
> Mandag 05 mars 2007 03:27, skrev Nick Law:
> > Tony Lambregts wrote:

> > > I only seem to have this problem when I am logged in. When I am not
> > > logged in it seems that there is no lag at all. I tried to do some
> > > administration and just logging in took 2 minutes. I was able to confirm
> > > a bunch of bug links and things were fine for most of them but about
> > > every 10th bug link I confirmed it would just seem to hang for a minute
> > > or two. I then tried to confirm some application submissions and every
> > > time it took at least 3 minutes to process.
> > >
> > > When I am logged in I frequently will get lags of a minute or two just
> > > viewing apps. This does not happen all the time and I have not found any
> > > reason why it should slow down at all. Visiting the same page at the same
> > > time with a not logged in account shows no slow down.
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> > > Tony Lambregts
> >
> > Hi Tony,
> >
> > That's absolutely 100% exactly the same symptoms I get. It only appears
> > to be a problem if I login. It appears to be getting worse as the weeks
> > progress, I'm sure when this started happening it was only about a
> > minute or less delay, now like you say it is 3 minutes. It's most
> > annoying for me when I login to reply to posts on the forum. I get the
> > feeling that not everybody suffers from this as much as we do, otherwise
> > we'd see many more posts about the subject ?
> >

> I am also suffering from the problem.  If no one except for the administrators
> are seeing this issue, then it has to be the administration bar that is
> causing the problems, otherwise it could also be a problem with sessions.
>
> So my questions is
>
> Is anyone except for the administrators seeing this issue?

I may be seeing this issues on my local test setup as well. A great
tool that I would recommend is xdebug.
http://www.xdebug.org/docs-profiling.php  This produces profiling
output that is parsed by kcachegrind. I'll see if I can get xdebug
setup on my local install tonight, it should be easy to spot once that
is working.

Chris