Tackling gdiplus?

Dmitry Timoshkov dmitry at codeweavers.com
Fri Mar 9 09:51:14 CST 2007

"Ivan de Jesus Deras Tabora" <ideras at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Since Mono has implemented much of gdiplus already
>> > ( http://www.mono-project.com/Libgdiplus ),
>> > we ought to be able to just slurp that into Wine and
>> > get quite a ways.
>> Except that's based on top of Cairo, whereas ours should be based on
>> gdi32.
> But cairo has a win32 backend.  So I think  we can use mono-libgdiplus.

Considering that gdiplus has a very poor performance under Windows because
it doesn't have a dedicated DDI (device driver interface), adding gdiplus
that uses a completely different backend into Wine would have even more
performance related problems.

How is that possible to mention gdiplus at all, if even so basic functionality
as a DIB engine still is not implemented?

Besides, my personal opinion is that implementing gdiplus is out of scope
of the Wine project, just like MFC and similar libraries.