DirectX 10 start as a SoC project?

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmx.at
Sat Mar 10 09:56:38 CST 2007

Hi,
Thinking about SoC I though that starting a DirectX 10 implementation may be a
good summer of code project. I do not mean implementing the full d3d10 lib,
that would be way to much, more starting the infrastructure. Henri disagreed
with the idea, so I thought I'll write a mail for public discussion :-) .
Looking at the timeline for SoC I hope it isn't too late.

My idea is to start a d3d10 implementation up to the following point:

-> Add a winver Windows Vista to make version checkers happy :-)
-> Create the d3d10 lib and start the .idl file for header generation
-> Write stubs for the functions to allow the app to create all the interfaces
-> Write test cases for reference counting. ddraw and d3d9 show that Microsoft
does not stick to its own COM rules
-> Make methods that have already 1:1 equivalents in wined3d call wined3d. Add
other methods as required to wined3d.
-> Implement them as far as you feel like :-)

I think the good thing about this is that there are is not much knowledge
about wined3d and d3d10 necessary at the start. The one who works on it can
learn the d3d10 interface while writing the stubs and learn about wined3d
when starting to call it.

Opinions? Suggestions?

Cheers,
Stefan