Tackling gdiplus?

Huw Davies huw at codeweavers.com
Sat Mar 10 06:19:45 CST 2007

Dan Kegel wrote:
> So Huw, you sounded like you thought doing our own gdiplus was
> a good idea.   How strongly do you feel about it?
> Think I should have somebody try to tackle a DIB engine instead?

So I was talking to Ulrich a few days ago and he was moaning bitterly
that a gdiplus app was very slow because the native gdiplus draws lines
one pixel at a time blitting into dibsections.  Now while a dib engine
would indeed help here, another approach would be to have our gdiplus
draw lines in a more Wine friendly manner.

Of course when apps stop shipping gdiplus then we're going to need our
own version anyway, just like any other dll.  We'd like to have
something useful before this day comes too.

It seems to me that gdiplus is a great project for an intern; it's
scalable and not 'all or nothing' unlike the dib engine.

Huw.