DirectX 10 start as a SoC project?

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmx.at
Sun Mar 11 13:53:48 CDT 2007

Am Sonntag 11 März 2007 19:40 schrieb Jesse Allen:
> On 3/10/07, Stefan Dösinger <stefandoesinger at gmx.at> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > Thinking about SoC I though that starting a DirectX 10 implementation may
> > be a good summer of code project. I do not mean implementing the full
> > d3d10 lib, that would be way to much, more starting the infrastructure.
> > Henri disagreed with the idea, so I thought I'll write a mail for public
> > discussion :-) . Looking at the timeline for SoC I hope it isn't too
> > late.
> >
> > My idea is to start a d3d10 implementation up to the following point:
> >
> > -> Add a winver Windows Vista to make version checkers happy :-)
> > -> Create the d3d10 lib and start the .idl file for header generation
> > -> Write stubs for the functions to allow the app to create all the
> > interfaces -> Write test cases for reference counting. ddraw and d3d9
> > show that Microsoft does not stick to its own COM rules
> > -> Make methods that have already 1:1 equivalents in wined3d call
> > wined3d. Add other methods as required to wined3d.
> > -> Implement them as far as you feel like :-)
> >
> > I think the good thing about this is that there are is not much knowledge
> > about wined3d and d3d10 necessary at the start. The one who works on it
> > can learn the d3d10 interface while writing the stubs and learn about
> > wined3d when starting to call it.
> >
> > Opinions? Suggestions?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Stefan
>
> The concept is nice, and I'd like to learn 3D graphic APIs better. But
> when I consider DX10, I don't have any DX10 apps, nor do I have Vista.
> I'd also be concerned if it is even properly documented if I were to
> start that way. So I'm not thinking I want to do DX10. However, this
> idea can be considered with any API that is currently not implemented.
> So I think I'll want to try this with a smaller more widely used API.
Regarding applications, I have a few of them:

/opt/windows/dxsdk/dx9/Samples/C++/Direct3D10 $ ls
BasicHLSL10            GPUSpectrogram        PipesGS
Bin                    HDRFormats10          ShadowVolume10
CubeMapGS              HLSLWithoutFX10       SimpleSample10
DisplacementMapping10  Instancing10          Skinning10
DrawPredicated         MotionBlur10          SoftParticles
EmptyProject10         MultiStreamRendering  SparseMorphTargets
FixedFuncEMU           ParticlesGS           Tutorials

21 applications, so it is a widely used API. Oh ooops, those are just the sdk
demos. And only 19 of them, bin/ and EmptyProject10/ do not really count...

Jokes aside, there aren't any dx10 apps yet, except some demo apps. The first
one to be expected is Halo 2 on April 24th afaik. The only thing is that MS
has created some hype around dx10 recently. It would give us some nice
publicity if the Halo 2 box states "Runs on Windows Vista and higher" and
winehq.org says "Runs Halo 2 on Linux, MacOS, Windows XP and earlier"

I do not think d3d10 hardware is required yet, the reference rasterizer should
work for the start. It is a long way to get any actual rendering going.
Regaring Vista, the nice thing is that Students get Educational licenses
cheap. But the license should be checked carefully. I for example may use it
only for educational purposes. As I am working for CodeWeavers my hacking on
wine isn't purely for educational purposes. No idea of SoC can be considered
an educational thing.