CreateScalableFontResource - a few questions

Juan Lang juan_lang at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 12 19:52:29 CDT 2007

Hi Chris,

> For my first foray into contributing to Wine

Welcome!

> would it be better to write something like a NE_SaveModule that takes
> an in-memory NE module and saves it to disk, and call that from my
> .FOT saving code?

Only if it makes your code more readable.  In general Wine doesn't share
code between modules, unless Windows does.  So this would almost certainly
be kept in gdi32, unless you know of a public Windows API that does what
you suggest.

> 2) NE binaries, including FOT files, contain as part of the header
> a DOS stub-executable that typically spits out a message of
> some sort.  I reasoned that being in itself a compiled binary we
> can't legally use the blob of binary that would appear in a
> real-world FOT file as-is, and I certainly wasn't about to go
> decompiling it, so I lifted the DOS stub executable from fnt2fon
> which I'm assuming as it's distributed with WINE is fair game.

That seems reasonable to me.

> Also, are there any open-source requirements on that small binary
> blob?  Fnt2fon certainly includes it with no added info.

Taking it from fnt2fon seems safe enough to me too.

> 3) Related to item 2, so far, the actual spec of the .FOT file
> format has eluded me, though knowing that it's a NE binary has
> enabled me to reverse a lot of it, which I'm yet to test but I
> believe will be enough to fool AddFontResource into doing what
> it's supposed to do.  Again, is it enough to go that far for now
> as the FOT format seems to be unsupported in WINE?

Yes, that's probably enough for now.

--Juan