DirectX 10 start as a SoC project?

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmx.at
Tue Mar 13 13:05:56 CDT 2007

Am Dienstag 13 März 2007 03:27 schrieb Kovács András:
Seems that there are 3 people interested in that now. I think it should not
fail due to the lack of work :-)

In case someone has his own idea, feel free to suggest it :-)

A few more Direct3D related ideas from me:

1) d3dx9_xy.dll, d3dxof.dll
Some helper DLLs. d3dx9 is supposed to be shipped by the game, d3dxof is part
of the dx runtime. The problem is that many games do not ship them because
windows tends to have them(either shipped, or from another game). The legal
situation regarding d3dxof.dll is difficult.

They contain various helper functions, from a shader compiler to texture
somtthing your favorite game likes, then it can be extended as needed. I
think this is interesting for people who like math, and specifically linear
algebra.

Ivan said he had a look at this DLL, maybe he can comment more on it, and if
it is suitable at all.

2) Software Vertex Shaders
Not a project for fancy new graphics, but rather to help compatiblity with
older cards, for feature completeness and most notably testing. Native
DirectX supports Vertex(not pixel) shaders in the CPU, for cards which can't
do them, if the application specifically requests this, and for
IDirect3DDevice9::ProcessVertices. The use for old cards should be
obvious :-) , and ProcessVertices would allow us to test the results of a
vertex shader in a more direct way than the visual test does.

This will require a lot of x86 assembler work. For performance reasons the d3d
asm should be cross-compiled to x86 mmx instructions and then executed
directly. The main challenge will be to overcome the architectural
differences between a gpu and a normal cpu.

Any other ideas? Feel free to suggest :-)