A SoC proposal for discussion: PE Packers

Dmitry Timoshkov dmitry at codeweavers.com
Wed Mar 14 10:12:32 CDT 2007

"Julien" <julienc at psychologie-fr.org> wrote:

> I didn't find a webpage on the wiki about SoC'07. However, I would like
> to suggest a SoC proposal for your comments. It seems to me that there
> are many bugs floating in bugzilla that are related to PE packers.

What is your base knowledge in the area of the PE loader and PE packers
in general?

> Because applications just crash due to being packed, this seems a
> requirement for Wine 1.0. For a SoC, it would be very interesting if one
> student takes the mission of fixing bugs related to PE packers such as:
> - Shrinker (#2608, #2619)
> - Neolite (seems ok see #4709)
> - Aspack (#6129)
> - Armadillo (#219)
>
> This would require to define the list of PE packers to support and which
> versions (as anti debugging tricks may differ depending of the version).

First step is to retest all of above bugs. Many packers' related bugs have
been fixed recently. Next step is to add tests to dlls/kernel32/tests/loader.c
which mimic the PE images that the packers create. And a final step is to
actually make the tests pass and fix the packers.

--
Dmitry.