Submitting winetricks to winehq tree?

Steven Edwards winehacker at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 00:23:38 CDT 2007

On 3/14/07, Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:
> And then there's Wine-Doors ( http://www.wine-doors.org ),
> which is like Winetools with delusions of grandeur.
> They seem to want to reinvent apt-get
> for no particular reason, and as far as I can tell, they intend
> to have a central server from which you can download copies
> of e.g. Photoshop with it.  This doesn't seem legal, offhand, but
> I can't find their mailing list archive to see if anyone has asked
> them about this fine point.

I think the idea with the WineDoors deployment method is kind of like
what CrossOver does with rpm bottles and rpm deployment. By using RPM
or Alien to convert the bottles in to apt packages, an enterprise
customer can push out a preconfigured bottle to hundreds or thousands
of workstations using existing package management tools. Currently
Wine has no enterprise support for this except buying CrossOver. Of
course it seems WineDoors would still require the third party
application to be installed but at least it would be automated.

--
Steven Edwards