Link creation not working _properly_ under 2.6 kernel?

Tom Spear speeddymon at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 11:35:32 CDT 2007

On 3/15/07, Lei Zhang <thestig at google.com> wrote:
> On 3/15/07, Tom Spear <speeddymon at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Hi all, I just got Slackware 11, and have a couple issues with link
> > creation.  I cant say that this worked with 10.2 either though, as I havent
> > had a Linux machine in about a year, since the motherboard died on my last
> > one..
> > >
> > > The first issue is that regardless of which kernel I use, the Desktop link
> > doesn't have the WinRAR icon, just the default blank paper KDE icon, and the
> > menu entries have no icons at all.
> > >
> > > Second, with 2.4 the icon is created and put on my desktop, but with 2.6
> > it is created and put where I have Drive C pointed to in winecfg.
> > >
> > > Third, with 2.4 the menu entries are put in the menu under the wine
> > folder, but with 2.6 they are put under the installdir of the app.
> > >
> > > I am using 0.9.32, as I cannot download the git version due to the
> > corporate firewall, and transparent web proxy..
> > >
> > > If needed I can create a bug for this issue, and as soon as I get a free
> > minute I will reinstall and get the debug messages.
> > >

> > Update: seems that the relocation of the icon to the desktop is working, I
> > just needed to use winecfg to point to the location of the Desktop, however
> > after removing WinRAR, and the WinRAR shortcut directory from the root of
> > the "C Drive" and reinstalling, the menu entries folder is still located in
> > /d/Program\ Files/WinRAR
> >
> > Tom
> >

> I'm using Slackware 11 here and Winrar put the desktop icon in the
> correct location, that is, ~/Desktop. It sounds like you had some
> configuration problems? Can you start with a fresh .wine directory and
> try again?
>
> If you are confident this is not due to a configuration issue, please
> file a bug. Also, this discussion is probably more appropriate for the
> wine-users mailing list.
>
> - Lei

My update says that the icon is on the desktop.  However the other
issues still remain (the icon not being a WinRAR icon, and the menu
not being put in my KDE menu, but instead under C:\\Program\
Files\\WinRAR

This is a fresh .wine directory, as this is a fresh install of
Slackware 11, not an upgrade, so I know it isn't a config issue.

This is definitely a bug..  wineshelllink is failing to fork and exec,
or so I gathered from a message right before the installer quit that
said something to that effect.  I will  attach the full output in just
a sec.

--
Thanks

Tom

Check out this new 3D Instant Messenger called IMVU.  It's the best I
have seen yet!

http://imvu.com/catalog/web_invitation.php?userId=1547373&from=power-email