Link creation not working _properly_ under 2.6 kernel?

Tom Spear speeddymon at
Thu Mar 15 13:40:25 CDT 2007

On 3/15/07, Lei Zhang <thestig at> wrote:
> It looks like the icon bug has already been reported:
> On my machine, wine puts WinRar.desktop in
> ~/.local/shared/applications/wine/Programs/WinRar, which then appears
> in my KDE menu. Are you saying the .desktop files went into
> ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/WinRar instead?

Yes, except that my Drive C is mapped to /mnt/d but that shouldnt make
any difference.  Note that this happens with the kernel from, which the 2.6 kernel is now required in order to run wine
on Slackware 11..

Now that I think about it, I cant get wine to run on the Slack 11 2.4
kernel because of missing kernel support for something, so I had to
get the 2.6 kernel from

When I originally installed this box, the current 2.6 was and
wine installed WinRAR to the menu and the desktop properly.  Then I
broke my install and had to to a clean reinstall of Slack, and so when
I went back to, the kernel was, so I downloaded it
and compiled and installed..  After that I installed wine, and the
menu shortcuts were put in the wrong folder.  Perhaps I either missed
a config option in the kernel that is affecting this, or something
that was changed in 2.6 actually breaks wine's menu creation?

Like I said, the wine version didn't change between the reinstalls
because I can't use git....

Check out this new 3D Instant Messenger called IMVU.  It's the best I
have seen yet!