Link creation not working _properly_ under 2.6 kernel?

Vitaliy Margolen wine-devel at
Fri Mar 16 20:35:43 CDT 2007

Tom Spear wrote:
> On 3/15/07, Tom Spear <speeddymon at> wrote:
>> On 3/15/07, Lei Zhang <thestig at> wrote:
>> > It looks like the icon bug has already been reported:
>> >

>> > On my machine, wine puts WinRar.desktop in
>> > ~/.local/shared/applications/wine/Programs/WinRar, which then appears
>> > in my KDE menu. Are you saying the .desktop files went into
>> > ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/WinRar instead?
>> >
>> Yes, except that my Drive C is mapped to /mnt/d but that shouldnt make
>> any difference.  Note that this happens with the kernel from
>>, which the 2.6 kernel is now required in order to run wine
>> on Slackware 11..
>> Now that I think about it, I cant get wine to run on the Slack 11 2.4
>> kernel because of missing kernel support for something, so I had to
>> get the 2.6 kernel from
>> When I originally installed this box, the current 2.6 was and
>> wine installed WinRAR to the menu and the desktop properly.  Then I
>> broke my install and had to to a clean reinstall of Slack, and so when
>> I went back to, the kernel was, so I downloaded it
>> and compiled and installed..  After that I installed wine, and the
>> menu shortcuts were put in the wrong folder.  Perhaps I either missed
>> a config option in the kernel that is affecting this, or something
>> that was changed in 2.6 actually breaks wine's menu creation?
>> Like I said, the wine version didn't change between the reinstalls
>> because I can't use git....
>> --
>> Thanks
>> Tom
>> Check out this new 3D Instant Messenger called IMVU.  It's the best I
>> have seen yet!
> I did some more checking into this just now.  I'm not sure why or how,
> but when I installed Worms 2, it installed the menu entries properly.
> So I uninstalled WinRAR and reinstalled it.  This time it created a
> menu entry for WinRAR under the wine folder in the menu, but it isnt a
> subfolder, like it should be and the other icons that should be in the
> menu aren't there.  It appears that the winrar installer may be doing
> something that other installers dont do....
After install is finished you did run 'wineboot' right? As most
installers create icons _first_ before anything else is installed.

> Anyone know of any debug messages I should run to try to narrow down
> the problem?
menubuilder would be helpfull. With the bug # where you should send all
this information of course.