Bug [219] questions

Vitaliy Margolen wine-devel at kievinfo.com
Fri Mar 16 21:12:02 CDT 2007

I think people still having lots and lots of questions about why safedisc
support is still not in Wine:

> ------- Additional Comments From Speeddymon  2007-16-03 14:37 -------
> I think the problem (as is with most times a safedisc patch has been written) is
> that the patch is either way too hacky, or is made by reverse engineering the
> safedisc dll's from windows..  Most likely Ivan did not reverse the dll's as I
> know he would not want to poison the tree, so my bet is that it is just too big
> of a hack for Alexandre to commit, combined with the fact that it is nearly
> impossible to break something like this up into smaller patches without
> completely breaking everything.

Can we get the "official" view on this? I'm tired of answering this sort
of questions myself not knowing the exact reasoning behind. I know that
there were plenty of "hacks" but there were number of reasonable pieces
that could have been committed. Allowing other people continue work
and improving upon.

Also can we close that bug as LATER since Alexandre commented it will not be
fixed until after 1.0?

Vitaliy.