Bug [219] questions

Vitaliy Margolen wine-devel at kievinfo.com
Sat Mar 17 16:19:03 CDT 2007

Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> Vitaliy Margolen <wine-devel at kievinfo.com> writes:
>
>> Can we get the "official" view on this? I'm tired of answering this sort
>> of questions myself not knowing the exact reasoning behind. I know that
>> there were plenty of "hacks" but there were number of reasonable pieces
>> that could have been committed. Allowing other people continue work
>> and improving upon.
>
> The "official" view is that you still haven't demonstrated a design
> that I consider correct, so obviously that makes it difficult to get
I was talking in general here for anyone who wanted to know what all it
takes to get it done.
I don't remember everything myself now. It's been long time since I
looked at the code. There were number of thins not directly related to
each other:
1. ntsokrnl.exe - have to have it (all drivers using it's exports)
2. Way to load these drivers (as a special case of loading a service).
3. Need support for device objects (so user apps can talk to the driver)
4. As a first step need a way to pass IOCTLs to the driver and back.

There were few safedisc specific issues:
1. Privileged instructions used by driver(s) (they do think they are
running in RING0 :)
2. Crash in import fixup (I think that was related to process startup
sequence not being the same as windows).
3. Access to SUD (Shared User Data).

SD3+ had some more issues that I do not recall. All I remember is
needing ARCH=i686 because SD doesn't like "call $+0"

> stuff committed. Some pieces could probably get in with some more
> work, but I'm not particularly interested to spend time helping you do
> that since you have made it clear that you can't be bothered with it
> anymore.
I'm sorry if it sounded this way. I have full time job that leaves me no
time to work on Wine. And with recent outlined requirements it's clear
that anyone working as a programmer can not send any patches to Wine
without requiring employer to sign code releases. The company I'm
working for will take several months to get something like that signed.
So sorry, I won't be sending any patches any time soon.

> In any case I'm currently working on these issues (when not distracted
> by other priorities...) so hopefully there will be progress in that
> area soon.
That is good to hear!

Vitaliy.