Link creation not working _properly_ under 2.6 kernel?

Tom Spear speeddymon at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 09:57:31 CDT 2007

On 3/19/07, Vitaliy Margolen <wine-devel at kievinfo.com> wrote:
> [...]
> >> and rebuilding the environment with wineprefixcreate and winecfg.
> >> This time however I created a symlink from
> >> /mnt/d/windows/profiles/speeddy/Start\ Menu to
> >> ~/.local/share/applications
> >>
> >> One of the .lnk files was put in the right place this time, and then
> >> when I ran wineboot, it created the wine folder and the main shortcut
> >> based off of that.
> >>
> >> It seems (looking at my trace) that it's failing around line 917 (in
> >> InvokeShellLinker), which basically checks the location of the lnk
> >> file and if it isnt in a known location, such as Desktop, Start Menu,
> >> Startup or the common version of such, then it fails and spits a warn.
> >>  The odd thing is that that function should return a relative path
> >> Assuming that my hunch is correct, if I comment out that part of the
> >> call, then it should create the shortcuts in the proper location.  Of
> >> course this would only work because I manually created the symlink for
> >> Start Menu earlier, due to the next part which checks to see if the
> >> links are under the start menu or desktop
> >>
> >> The reason I see this failing is not due to a bug in the menubuilder
> >> but due to a bug somewhere else in wine that causes the folder that
> >> should go into the Start Menu to be put into Program Files\WinRAR..
> >> So IMHO this bug is somewhere else.  I'll try running with +file and
> >> see what I can come up with.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Thanks
> >>
> >> Tom
> >>
> >> Check out this new 3D Instant Messenger called IMVU.  It's the best I
> >> have seen yet!
> >>

> >> http://imvu.com/catalog/web_invitation.php?userId=1547373&from=power-email
> >>

> > OK finally found the culprit!
> >
> > Looks like the WinRAR installer is looking for the Start Menu and
> > Start Menu\Programs..  Found it with the +file trace.  If those don't
> > exist then it defaults to installing into.... Program Files\WinRAR.
> >
> > So I now have two questions:
> >
> > 1) Why was the Start Menu left out of wine's first
> > boot/wineprefixcreate and left out of the winecfg dialogs?  I mean was
> > it just an oversight or was there a specific reason, because I
> > honestly dont know or understand.
> It does exist here:
> /home/vitaliy/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/vitaliy/Start Menu/Programs
> and
> /home/vitaliy/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/All Users/Start Menu/Programs
>

> > 2) Is the menu location (~/.local/share/applications) pretty much
> > universal?  In other words IF a patch were submitted to add Start Menu
> See: http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/menu-spec-1.0.html#paths
>
> > creation under windows\profiles, would it require detection of the
> > menu location, or (in the case that it is nearly universal) could it
> > just be statically coded?
> You talking about two totally separate things:
> 1. Windows' "Start Menu" location
> 2. XOrg's location for the menu entries.

No I'm not.  Apparently wine is broken in the way that it handles
making links anyways, because if you look in winecfg with a clean
~/.wine you see Desktop points to ~/Desktop which is not good.  The
reason this is not good is because when a user installs a program they
get 2 icons, one is the lnk file that is used in windows (useless in
wine/linux for launching programs), and the other is the .desktop
file.

So apparently what wine needs is to have a central location to store
lnk files that is not so visible, and then it needs to make all of the
.desktop files (both for the desktop and for the xorg menu entries)
from those lnk files.

See thread "Menubuilder fix found" and the bug linked at the top of
that email for all of the info needed for someone that knows the code
to make a patch..