On bugs and docs

James Hawkins truiken at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 15:41:00 CDT 2007

On 3/20/07, Tom Spear <speeddymon at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/20/07, James Hawkins <truiken at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 3/20/07, Tom Spear <speeddymon at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > What's wrong with the components (besides the possible lack of
> > components for some dlls) and the search page?
>
> Well just that some of them are not very clear, wine-binary for one.
> What would be an example of something that should go under that
> component?  Some are nonexistent, keyboard/mouse problems outside of
> games/dinput that dont cause a crash and aren't related to NLS..
> Perhaps a component for keyboard and mice input.  Although now that I
> think about it, dinput is a bit general too, because it handles so
> much.  dinput IMHO should be split into keyboard input, mouse input,
> and something else for joystick/gamepads/etc since there are different
> people that work on those 3 distinct parts of dinput.
>
> As for the search page, when I first saw it (when I was a new user) I
> was inundated by it and had to thoroughly read each thing and try to
> comprehend it..  Because the default search box at the top only
> searches the summary.
>
> We always say that users need to search bugzilla for their bug before
> filing one, but nobody wants to have to unselect all of the statuses
> (so that all bugs are searched), and then have to still go and setup
> an advanced query just to search all bugs in their entirety for the
> word winrar..

You shouldn't be searching all bugs when filing a new bug...the reason
to search for bugs (in the case of a new bug report) is to make sure
you're not making a duplicate report.  A new bug can't be a duplicate
of a closed bug (technically not always true, but for all intents and
purposes, the generalization can be made).

--
James Hawkins