Link creation not working _properly_ under 2.6 kernel?

Tom Spear speeddymon at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 09:03:20 CDT 2007

On 3/20/07, Vitaliy Margolen <wine-devel at kievinfo.com> wrote:
> >> See: http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/menu-spec-1.0.html#paths

> >> You talking about two totally separate things:
> >> 1. Windows' "Start Menu" location
> >> 2. XOrg's location for the menu entries.
> >>
> >> Vitaliy.
> >>
> > No I'm not.  Apparently wine is broken in the way that it handles
> > making links anyways, because if you look in winecfg with a clean
> > ~/.wine you see Desktop points to ~/Desktop which is not good.  The
> > reason this is not good is because when a user installs a program they
> > get 2 icons, one is the lnk file that is used in windows (useless in
> > wine/linux for launching programs), and the other is the .desktop
> > file.
> You missed that discussion. It was decided some time ago that for
> compatibility reasons with 1000 different distros Wine will be using
> symlinks. And it works properly. But the biggest reasoning behind it is
> integration. Wine should use ~/Desktop as desktop (if it's present).

So we want users to have both a .lnk file (which doesnt work) and a
.desktop file (which does) on their desktop?

Ill file bugs if that is not correct, but afaics everything in the
menubuilder code looks fine.  Like I said if I disable the Desktop/My
docs linking in the desktop integration tab of winecfg, then wine acts
properly and puts lnk files where they should be (under the fake c
drive's start menu/desktop) and puts desktop files where they should
be (under the real xorg desktop and menu), which is what I meant when
I had said "central location", I just hadnt thought to disable the
link to boxes until after I said that.

--
Thanks

Tom

Check out this new 3D Instant Messenger called IMVU.  It's the best I
have seen yet!

http://imvu.com/catalog/web_invitation.php?userId=1547373&from=power-email