Road to 1.0

Bryan Haskins kingofallhearts999 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 16:06:37 CDT 2007

> If you are making it extremely easy for users to run with native dlls

and hacky workarounds, then you are hurting Wine.  Wine is still beta,

That's true... and people technically should only be using wine for the pure
sake of testing and helping fix usage. LEt's be honest, very few use it for
that, they just want it to work, they use wine for the use the Devs want out
of 1.0. Saying to someone that because it doesn't work by default, we're not
going to let you use it, or in general make it hard for them defeats the
goal of the *actual program*, Joe XYZ wants to play Oblivion, He Finds it
doesn't work! He looks around and sees that if he does a lot of various
things it will work *okay*, Joe XYZ does them. Joe XYZ had no intention of
ever submitting bugs at all, is this bad? Hell yes it is. We should educate
at how important it is for a program like Wine to have nice detailed Bug
Tracking, but at the same time, can you blame him for just wanting it to
work, easily? As long as the user, at some point, realized, hey this doesn't
work out of the box, the job is done to some degree.

To summarize, If a user never was going to report things, that's bad, he
should be educated, but at the same time, if he still wouldn't, shouldn't it
be our job as the community to make it easy for him?

This goes back to the WineTools thing... that was bad though, even though at
face it seems the same... in reality people were starting to just say
Install Wine, then you *need* to install winetools and run the base install
thing, without ever actually saying "HEY! Newbs! This wont work so you
should install zyx to make it work as a temporary solution until such a time
as it's fixed in the wine tree." OR something similar.

I guess my point is two fold:
-The user needs to know about bug reporting.
-The user needs to know what it means for something to not work
'out-of-the-box', and what exactly a 'dirty little hack' or the like is.

end rant

and we need as much testing and bug reporting as possible.  You take

--
Cheers,
Bryan