Supreme Commander Up and running!

Markus kde at 3danim.de
Thu Mar 22 16:26:06 CDT 2007

On Thursday 22 March 2007 18:16, you wrote:
> On 22/03/07, Markus <kde at 3danim.de> wrote:
> > Any chance instancing will be implemented any time soon?
>
> We've got instancing support, although there may be bugs. That
> particular datatype isn't supported though. I'm not sure how hard it
> would be to implement this, and if perhaps there are any extensions we
> could use.
I've done some searching on the net for an instancing extension and two seem
to exist:
An older NVidia specific extension "NVX_instanced_arrays"
http://http.download.nvidia.com/developer/presentations/2006/gdc/2006-GDC_OpenGL_NV_exts.pdf

and a newer "ext_draw_instanced" which seems to be more "official". I've
however read several times that it apparently only works on 8800 series cards
or newer.
http://developer.download.nvidia.com/opengl/specs/GL_EXT_draw_instanced.txt

Possibly nothing new to you folks but maybe it saves some time on research.

--
Markus