Road to 1.0

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Sun Mar 25 12:38:38 CDT 2007

On 3/25/07, Scott Ritchie <scott at open-vote.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-03-25 at 07:39 -0700, Dan Kegel wrote:
> > - Mono integration working for non-toy apps
>
> So, when do we need to start including mono as a build/install
> dependency for Wine in our packages?

Once it works better.  Right now it's really not ready to use.
(And mono doesn't yet have a silent install mode, which would be nice.)

If you want to try it out, easiest way is to do
  wget kegel.com/wine/winetricks
  sh winetricks mono12
Winetricks will then download mono, install it, and set the registry keys
needed to make Wine use it.

You can then try running simple .net apps, e.g. a trivial tile game
http://www.codeproject.com/vb/net/tile.asp
It uses gdiplus, so I think you have to install that first.  I tried
  sh winetricks gdiplus corefonts
and then
  wine TileGame.exe
but it doesn't run... it dies deep within
  System.Windows.Forms.Control.get_DefaultFont ()
which doesn't seem like a good sign :-(
Same problem with another trivial game,
http://www.codeproject.com/useritems/8_Queen_Solution_New.asp

Beyond those problems, there must be some other registry key we need to set.
Installing e.g. http://www.dbautotrack.com/products/richtexteditor.html
fails saying "This setup requires the .NET Framework.  Please install
the .NET Framework and run this setup again."

- Dan