Is Wine a platform for Codeweaver to make money?! Please help me understand.

Brian Vincent brian.vincent at
Thu Mar 29 15:49:46 CDT 2007

On 3/28/07, Sasan Iman <iman at> wrote:
> I know that if you fiddle around with the stock release long enough you
> can get MS Office working on Wine as I have on a number of occasions,
> but shouldn't making this work for everyone be the highest priority for
> getting Wine to be adopted more widely?! Or is Wine more targeted to
> gamers which is mostly what I read about on WineHQ?

CodeWeavers isn't Evil.  I think everyone involved in Wine would agree
with that.  There is absolutely no question that without their
involvement several core pieces of Wine probably wouldn't exist.  For
example, MSI, COM, MSHTML, etc.  We'd probably still have a good
Direct3D implementation though because Stefan is sick like that.

As far as getting Office to work, you and everyone else are more than
welcome to work on that.  We even have a free graphical regression
testing system (cxtest) that CodeWeavers developed that could help you
maintain that.  Personally, I'd be ecstatic if you'd be willing to
work on that.

Finally, I wouldn't exactly say Wine is targeted at gamers any more
than anything else.