extracting info from a minidump via winedbg

Dennis Schridde devurandom at gmx.net
Fri Mar 30 07:36:55 CDT 2007

Am Freitag, 30. März 2007 schrieb Eric Pouech:
> 2007/3/29, Dennis Schridde <devurandom at gmx.net>:

> > locations

> > > because it needs the original PE files (.exe, .dll) to get to the debug
> > > information
> > > those files must be seated in directories listed in the _NT_SYMBOL_PATH
> > > environment variable
> >
> > Maybe I am just doing it wrong, but
> > _NT_SYMBOL_PATH=. winedbg warzone2100.mdmp
> > doesn't change anything... (Even supplying the full path doesn't.)
> > The exe (not all dlls, because I don't have a copy of the user's system)
> > is of
> > course in the working directory.
>
> But the debug info is not always in the .exe itself. the .exe can contain
> only a pointer to the debug info
This exe was compiled using the GCC switch "-g" and was not striped
afterwards, it is ~10MB big (the usual size of our app when compiled in debug
mode) and winedump drops a long list of I don't know what when I
run "winedump -G warzone2100.exe".

> what does 'winedbg -x debug -g warzone2100.exe' give ?
Usage information...

winedbg has neither a -x nor a -g parameter.
winedump has a -x parameter (which takes no option) and a -G parameter. It
complains about not being able to treat multiple files.
So you probably meant a completely different tool...

> > > - Why doesn't winedbg show me the other information included in the

> > > 'info share' should do part of it... winedbg doesn't show the command
> > > line info nor options
> >
> > That only shows me the memory ranges of some modules. The minidump
> > includes
> > more info, like the paths to dlls and similar. I am not sure whether it
> > includes version information, but it certainly contains the commandline
> > used
> > to start the app.
> >
> > > other thing you can do is to use winedump (man winedump)
> >
> > How do I do this? And what will it provide? I tried
> > winedump -G warzone2100.exe
> > but I have no idea what I shall do with that tremedously long and cryptic
> > list.
>
> winedump warzone2100.mdmp
This is actually useful. Things like file versions, modules and so on are
printed. What's still missing (and only visible in the binary listing
of "Memory ranges" is the commandline.
Are there plans to make this info accessible from winedbg?
Or to include things like backtrace information into winedump?

--Dennis