What's the long term plan for 64 bit support?

Scott Ritchie scott at open-vote.org
Wed May 2 23:22:01 CDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-05-02 at 21:54 -0400, Steven Edwards wrote:
> On 5/2/07, Scott Ritchie <scott at open-vote.org> wrote:
> > In the (distant) future, will we support building Wine with both 64 bit
> > and 32 bit libraries, and then the same Wine installation will run both
> > 64 bit and 32 bit apps?  As I understand it, this is the way Windows
> > does in its 64 bit versions.
> >

> > I ask because there's a question of how to name the Wine packages for
> > the 64 bit distribution - there's a standard of naming 32 bit packages
> > something like "wine32", but if we're eventually going to have a unified
> > multiarch package then we can still go with just keeping it as "wine"
>
> Its an interesting question. Do we rebuild everything twice and
> package it once? What if you've got a 64bit app that expects to be
> able to CreateProcess on a win32 application for legacy purposes and
> let the Windows loader figure it out? How is wineserver going to
> handle that? I agree with making separate packages like wine32 and
> wine64 as we try very hard to emulate mingw32 when it comes to source
> porting so it makes since to have the package name and platform names
> follow the same standard.

But why have separate packages if the problem lies in wineserver?  Once
we figure out how to make wineserver intelligently handle the issue,
then we can package the apps together.  Until then, we're best off
packaging just the 32 bit version, since we can't have two wineservers
for two different packages.

Thanks,
Scott Ritchie