USB device support in wine

Jon Burgess jkburges at gmail.com
Sat May 5 03:43:49 CDT 2007

> 4. Integrate NTOSKRNL.EXE into wine, add USB infrastructure to
> NTOSKRNL.EXE so that kernel-mode drivers can access USB (probably
> through libusb), and modify ntdll to forward the appropriate reads,
> writes, and i/o control requests to NTOSKRNL.EXE so that the .SYS file
> can handle them. This is the only way that works with .SYS files
> out-of-the-box, the others all require a rewrite of the .SYS driver's
> functionality. Architecturally, this is the best way, you wouldn't
> need to change any code in wine to add a new driver.
>
> Way 4 is probably the best and I hope it works at some stage, but it's
> still a long way off seeing as how NTOSKRNL.EXE itself still isn't in
> wine.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're saying that this approach would enable
wine to work with (almost?) any USB device, which has a vendor specific,
kernel-mode driver, using the vendor's supplied driver out-of-the-box.
Sounds like the best approach to me too.

Maybe there are other people out there with the same problem as me, (or
simply a desire to get better USB support in to wine) who would be
interested in working on this too?

Jono