blizzard conference

Jesse Allen the3dfxdude at
Tue May 8 12:50:13 CDT 2007

On 5/8/07, Tom Spear <speeddymon at> wrote:
> On 5/8/07, Jesse Allen <the3dfxdude at> wrote:

> > > I would assume so. I don't know if telling them is going to fix anything,
> > > though. For new games, I hope they're not using gethostbyname(gethostname())
> > > anyway. For the other issues that are hitting us with that bug, all seem to
> > > be valid winsock programming. I'd rather have someone talk to them about
> > > better overall wine compatibility.
> > >

> > Right, Diablo 2 does use gethostbyname in a bad way. But I think
> > distros should just manage the /etc/hosts file better.
> I kinda tend to agree, but the question on their end would be
> something along the lines of "with most users using dynamic ip's, how
> do you propose that we link the hostname to the current ip?"
> One idea would be to setup a cron job that checks ifconfig for the ip
> of ethx, and then changes /etc/hosts accordingly.  But then how would
> you handle users that either a) dont have cron installed, or b) dont
> use an ethernet card (i.e. they use wireless, or are hooked to the
> cable modem via usb cable, or are using dialup)..  Maybe inetd/xinetd
> need to be rewritten from the ground up? lol I dont think that will
> happen any time soon.
> The best bet is for wine to work with what it has and build in support
> somehow for each scenario as we come to it.

It can be done with the network configuration scripts, at boot, or
when you change the configuration. You don't need to periodically scan
using cron. (*Yes some connections change frequently, but you can
still get it done right when the change occurs.) Since most users
don't know what the /etc/hosts file is, the various distros need to be
better at managing it. I don't know which ones do better. I use
slackware I manage the file myself :D