mentoring

Tom Spear speeddymon at gmail.com
Mon May 14 13:56:48 CDT 2007

On 5/14/07, Stefan Dösinger <stefandoesinger at gmx.at> wrote:
> Hi Tom!
> I am afraid you have come accross an unmaintained part of wine. There is maybe
> nobody who can competently help you. Nobody minds helping you, but nobody can
> help you.
>
> What happens then is that you write a mail and get no answers. You get
> frustrated(not your fault), write a mail in which you complain nobody has
> answered. 3 persons who do no know the part of wine you're modifying reply 3
> different answers. Discussions start, and then AJ stops applying patches
> until the discussions have come to a conclusion.

Ok, thank you very much.  That was exactly what I needed to hear.

> Thats just what I think has happened, but I don't know the uninstaller eiter.
> So count this as a 4th answer to "why does nobody answer me" :-)

It wasnt so much a question of why does nobody answer me.. I have been
getting responses, it's just that I was not getting anywhere with the
to be able to finally get this handled now..

> As for finding out what aj disliked about your patches my experience is that
> it is best to ask him on irc(#winehackers on freenode). But I also know that
> aj stops looking at patches if there is way too much dispute about them. In
> this case you should send single patches to wine-patches starting that you
> want to start the process over. Of course the patches should have the
> suggestions implemented that were made before, or if not a good reason why
> you have chosen to do otherwise(Not all suggestions are good).

My last question is this:  What is an acceptable amount of time I
should wait before asking AJ what is wrong with a patch?  I see that
patches get submitted and then the next day they are committed
oftentimes.  However I would like I am pressuring him if I submit a
patch, it didnt get committed the next day, and then I shortly after
ask him what was wrong.  So, should I wait until day 2 or so?
Unfortunately my company firewall blocks all of the IRC ports, so I
can't get onto freenode from work, and by the time I get home, most
times #winehackers (well #winehq anyways) is dead.  I'll check in
winehackers next time..

Thank you very much for putting my fears to rest.  Now for the arduous
task of starting over heheh.

--
Thanks

Tom