Direct X 10 game demo

Jesse Allen the3dfxdude at gmail.com
Wed May 16 13:32:07 CDT 2007

On 5/16/07, Stefan Dösinger <stefandoesinger at gmx.at> wrote:
> Am Mittwoch 16 Mai 2007 16:25 schrieb Tom Spear:
> > On 5/15/07, EA Durbin <ead1234 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> > > The lost planet demo utilizing Direct X 10 is out, for those of you
> > > interested in developing/testing Direct X 10.
> >
> > I'm curious.  When we do start work on DX10, are we going to set it up
> > so that it will only work if the user uses winver ~= vista or greater,
> > or will it be available for all winvers that are capable of supporting
> > it?
> >
> > I'd like to see (a few years from now obviously), if it would be
> > possible to use wine's directx to play a dx10 game on winxp, since Ms
> > is not going to make dx10 for xp..
> I don't think we'll have an artificial winver=winvista in our d3d10 code,
> unless an application fails because it finds a working d3d10 on a supposed
> windows xp. And even then we can port it to real xp without that check

I think that it's highly more likely that the game will check the
windows version the standard way at install.  So as long as you pass
the version check there you'll be fine. Past that I don't see any
reason why they would code additional version checks after that. All
the games that I've seen don't do that.

If the game is standalone or runs without installing, then it would
probably just try to create the standard DX10 object that it needs. If
we provide it, then it will try to run. If not it will probably say it
needs DX10 or something. I don't see a reason why it needs* to check
the version of windows.

*But just you wait someone is bound to do it...

Jesse