ADVAPI32: service tests

James Hawkins truiken at gmail.com
Sun May 20 04:31:26 CDT 2007

On 5/20/07, Rolf Kalbermatter <r.kalbermatter at hccnet.nl> wrote:
> James Hawkins [mailto:truiken at gmail.com] wrote
>
> >Have you looked?  regedit HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services.
> >I'm not familiar with spooler, but I assume it's installed by default
> >on win9x, whereas msi is not.  Whichever service you test, though,
> >you can just skip if the service doesn't exist.
>
> Well I have checked and on a clean Wine install from current git there
> is no service installed at all. I see a VxD/MSTCP entry in the registry
> but no other settings in there that would be needed for a service to be
> started nor any other service entry. On that account I wonder what the
> VxD/MSTCP entry does at all or if it could be removed?

Then something is wrong with your setup.  Both MSIServer and Spooler
are registered services when you run wineprefixcreate.

> >You won't need any of this.
>
> Without at least one working service entry (active or not) there won't
> be many meaningful tests we could do for the service API.

Read above.

> >Just check the return value of OpenSCManager; skip the test if they aren't
> >admin. msdn implies that OpenSCManager will return ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED if
> >they don't have the correct privileges. It's a trivial issue that most
> >tests currently don't bother with.
>
> I thought skip would be the solution but need to read on that. Last time I
> did a Wine test skip didn't exist at all.
>
> Still on a clean Wine install I don't see how we can currently do many
> useful service API tests at all.

On a clean install, there are two services to test.  You need to
figure out why you don't have those services.  This is from a clean
.wine:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSIServer]
"DisplayName"="MSIServer"
"ErrorControl"=dword:00000001
"ImagePath"="c:\\windows\\system32\\msiexec.exe"
"Start"=dword:00000003
"Type"=dword:00000020

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Spooler]
"Description"="Loads files to memory for later printing."
"DisplayName"="Print Spooler"
"ErrorControl"=dword:00000001
"Group"="SpoolerGroup"
"ImagePath"="spoolsv.exe"
"ObjectName"="LocalSystem"
"Start"=dword:00000002
"Type"=dword:00000110

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\MSTCP]
@=""

--
James Hawkins