New Gecko package

Vitaliy Margolen wine-devel at kievinfo.com
Tue May 22 22:06:06 CDT 2007

Jacek Caban wrote:
> Hi Vitaliy,
>
> Vitaliy Margolen wrote:
>> Jacek Caban wrote:
>>
>> wine iexplore http://winehq.org/ crashes for me.
>>
> Could you please send me seh,tid,mshtml,shdocvw logs?

Never mind. It was some testing patch in my tree that broke things.

>> BTW why JavaScript doesn't work or any pop-up windows don't open? I know
>> this works fine with Firefox.
>>
> It needs some support from Gecko embedder (MSHTML in our case) and I
> haven't worked on it yet (with exception of built in alert pop-up).

You mean that what Wine has now uses gecko for just HTML rendering and
nothing else?! That you are pretty much rewriting the whole browser from
the scratch?!! How is that better then what we had before?!!!

The impression you gave about a year ago that Mozilla active-X controls
needed number of things modified, but other then that it worked fine.
Here I see only most rudimentary things work, and everything else would
probably never work. And Wine is open for stream of never ending
security issues, that so far no one even risen.

I hate to sound negative about things here, but how hard will it be to
put things back the way they were before? Or at least make it possible
to use Mozilla ActiveX controls instead of wine_gecko?

Vitaliy Margolen.