New winetricks: add support for Red Hat's liberation fonts

Scott Ritchie scott at
Fri May 25 12:30:14 CDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-05-25 at 19:20 +0200, Hans Leidekker wrote:
> On Friday 25 May 2007, mark cox wrote:
> > Scott, That wasn't what i was thinking when i suggested it to Dan. If users
> > tests the fonts with wine, which they can now do using winetricks, i was
> > hoping that the font names could be remapped/hacked so that the names of the
> > mscorefonts map to the redhat fonts. If that is successful, the fonts could
> > be included in wine and we wouldn't need mscorefonts anymore.
> Yes, we should be able to eliminate a number of font related bugs by
> shipping with these fonts. Apps like Picasa [1] appear to ask for a
> specific font name, others even reference the font file directly.
> There's another bug where if an app installs the first truetype font
> in Wine all subsequent text is shown with that font [2].
All right, clearly we need to handle this somehow. I'm just thinking
that there needs to be a way to install these fonts WITHOUT Wine such
that they're available to non-Wine programs, and that when a user has
done that Wine should then reference those fonts rather than duplicate

Something like a (free) Wine-fonts package, which would be a dependency
of Wine.  I didn't mean adding them to the mscorefonts type packages
(which currently isn't a dependency of Wine)

> These bugs can be worked around by installing corefonts.
> I have attached a script that changes the filenames of the Liberation
> fonts as well as the font names inside the files to match native.
> It requires fontforge to be installed and assumes you have already
> loaded the Liberation fonts, with winetricks for example:
> $ wget
> $ sh winetricks liberation
> $ sh convert_fonts
>  -Hans
> [1]
> [2]

Won't this potentially result in duplicate fonts on a system, though?

Scott Ritchie