New winetricks: add support for Red Hat's liberation fonts

Hans Leidekker hans at it.vu.nl
Fri May 25 15:19:26 CDT 2007

On Friday 25 May 2007 19:30:14 Scott Ritchie wrote:

> All right, clearly we need to handle this somehow. I'm just thinking
> that there needs to be a way to install these fonts WITHOUT Wine such
> that they're available to non-Wine programs, and that when a user has
> done that Wine should then reference those fonts rather than duplicate
> them.

Yes, distros should make these fonts available to all applications.
I have no doubt they will because the license is right and they make
some web pages and Word documents look better.

I was looking beyond that actually, because the license permits us to
improve Wine's compatibility even more. By generating modified versions
we can make applications work that assume the presence of these fonts
and their files.

So yes, there is duplication involved, but it is balanced by being more
compatible.

 -Hans