Start of an opengl-based gdi driver

Stefan Dösinger stefan at codeweavers.com
Mon May 28 17:00:14 CDT 2007

Hi,
A few additions to my previous mail - Why can't I think about all this when
I'm writing the mail.

A GDI engine won't help Direct3D applications because the gdi engine still
operates in system memory. It would not avoid the need of downloading from
opengl and uploading again. A GDI engine can help DirectDraw Games(although
this can be improved in wined3d too), and other apps making heavy use of DIB
sections with direct access. DDraw can be improved by moving the rendering
from wined3d's code to the X server. This would shift the expensive opertions
away from GetDC to surface locking.

And my font manager: I'm aware that I can't store the font Handle, I have to
store the LOGFONT structure, together with the pen settings. This was just a
quick and dirty way which works for most apps. But in theory the font handle
can be destroyed and another one recreated with the same value but different
settings.