Bug triage, or spam?

Tom Spear speeddymon at gmail.com
Thu May 31 13:36:11 CDT 2007

On 5/31/07, James Hawkins <truiken at gmail.com> wrote:
> Marking bugs as closed has nothing to do with bug triage.  Triaging
> bugs would be a really helpful thing, but mass-closing bugs does
> nothing but give subscribers a whole lot of emails to delete.  We
> don't keep track of stats like other projects, so there's really no
> point to blindly close all bugs that are resolved, instead of closing
> bugs on a case by case basis.

I'm not blindly closing all bugs marked resolved..  It seems to me
that you didnt real thru all of the emails, but I have been posting
comments, etc before closing, and there are some that are marked
resolved that I did not close, or that I even reopened based on the
most recent commentS that indicate the bug might not be fixed, or
might actully be a real wine bug..

> > since invalid isnt really "resolved", and neither is works for me
>
> But closing these bugs somehow makes them "resolved" for you?

It's an organizational thing, if they are closed, then we know for
sure that they are resolved.  Since everyone is prone to marking a bug
as invalid when it is really a bug, or works for me when it really
should be open because some users are experiencing it but not others,
leaving it as resolved just says that the person who resolved it was
too lazy to close it, and that they didn't check back to make sure
that some other users didnt have the same problem..  Case in point:
bug 3889, has been resolved as worksforme (i did it over a year ago),
when it is really a bug, and has never truely been resolved in wine.
I just looked back thru the conversation that took place on wine-devel
and saw no definitive response saying that the bug was fixed by an
alexandre patch, and saw nothing that says the bug is not a bug, so I
am about to reopen it and ask if the issue is fixed in current wine.

--
Thanks

Tom