Whitespace changes in an indentation patch, is it acceptable?

Tom Spear speeddymon at gmail.com
Thu May 31 14:23:59 CDT 2007

On 5/31/07, Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:
> Now that you've fixed a couple bugs in your uninstall patch,
> I think you should post the very simplest form of it possible,
> without any other change mixed in.  In this case, I think that
> means you should do the whitespace changes in a second patch.
Right, which is the way the patch is already done, I just wanted to
see if making changes to the whitespace in other parts of the file
(via the 2nd patch, which changes the indentation of my additions)
would be considered random whitespace changes, or if it would be
helpful, because it reduces filesize..

I recall a few years back (2003?) There was a discussion about
removing extra whitespace at the end of lines, and someone came up
with a bash/sed script to look thru the entire wine tree, strip
trailing whitespace, and then somehow commit it (either with a really
large diff, or by it being run on the machine that the upstream tree
is on, I cant remember which).  Once that was done, the tarballs
shrank by at least 1-2 megs in download size, and even more
uncompressed.

IMHO it may be time to do that again...

--
Thanks