#winehq admin troubles

Chris Morgan chmorgan at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 23:12:42 CST 2007

On 11/4/07, feba thatl <febaen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry if this mailing list is less than appropriate, but from what
> I've seen this is where the conversation was last time, and there
> doesn't seem to be much better.
>
> A while ago (Probably one-three months), I went to #winehq to ask
> about something, and was treated rather rudely by vitamin. I got
> annoyed by him, and made a somewhat rude comment myself (not as rude
> as he was being, but still probably inappropriate), and he kicked me.
> I rejoined the channel, and I don't really remember what happened
> afterwards, but it can't have been too awful as I don't believe I was
> banned. I do remember being left with a very sour taste with Wine, as
> I googled vitamin, and found that this was nowhere near the first time
> he had been needlessly rude to a user and had even given completely
> unwarranted bans with seemingly no reprimand.
>
> I gradually started going back to winehq for help and questions, with
> no problems. Last night, I went in to ask if anyone wanted to help me
> get a program working, and vitamin replied. I groaned to myself, but
> we had a perfectly civil conversation. At one point he stopped
> replying, but it's not like I haven't had to walk off myself for
> various reasons, so I just left quietly.
>
> Today, I joined #ubuntu to try to get something working, and found
> someone else asking for help with Wine. I (amongst others) recommended
> they go to #winehq. They joined, but commented in #ubuntu that, quote:
>
> (09:27:58 PM) <Name removed>: man these #winehq people are not friendly at all
>
> I joined #winehq and confirmed my fears that vitamin was being rude to
> someone else. Vitamin asked what version they were running, they
> answered with 9.46 (the version in the Ubuntu repos, last I checked),
> and I recommended they go to winehq.org and follow the instructions on
> how to add the Wine repos. Vitamin said something along the lines of
> "that isn't the case here", I said that it's still helpful (to have an
> up to date version of wine). I then asked if Vitamin had got the
> program we talked about last night working, and seconds later was
> kicked. No explanation, the kick line just had "(Vitamin)". Utterly
> confused, I rejoined, for which I do have a chatlog:
>
> (09:32:56 PM) The topic for #winehq is:[long topic removed]
> (09:33:09 PM) ***vitamin fucking tired all knowning noobs!
> (09:33:15 PM) <Name removed, same person from #ubuntu>: wine: cannot
> find '/media/cdrom0/intro.exe'
> (09:33:15 PM) vitamin: usrl, you better leave
> (09:33:25 PM) usrl: Why?
> (09:33:32 PM) mode (+b *!*n=feba@*.hsd1.ks.comcast.net ) by vitamin
> (09:33:32 PM) You have been kicked by vitamin: (vitamin)
>
> That's the entire chatlog of my second time joining (I didn't think to
> save a copy of the first), with nothing removed but a bunch of topic
> stuff nobody wants to read and the fellow from #ubuntu's nick.
>
> Now, I not only have been banned for apparently being a noob (Again,
> [...]

I agree that this isn't something that should continue. Kicking should
be reserved for people being disruptive. There is no reason to be
anything other than polite to users asking for help.

Allowing this kind of behavior to continue reflects poorly on us as a
community. I'd like to suggest that this be the last time we hear
about issues like this. If it happens again I'd like to propose a
graduated scale of irc channel bans, starting at one month, for
Vitamin.

Chris