#winehq admin troubles

Kai Blin kai.blin at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 03:39:32 CST 2007

On Monday 05 November 2007 06:12:42 Chris Morgan wrote:

> I agree that this isn't something that should continue. Kicking should
> be reserved for people being disruptive. There is no reason to be
> anything other than polite to users asking for help.

How much time do you spend in #winehq? I know I don't spend much time there,
but I know it's a thankless job. four out of five people who ask for help
there seem to
a) expect you to drop everything you're doing to help them
b) insult the person trying to help if the suggestion doesn't work
c) threaten to go back to windows and expect you care.
d) leave before you get around to answer

After we had talked about improving the user experience in #winehq on
WineConf, I tried to actually be online there more often, and that's the
usual pattern I see there.

> Allowing this kind of behavior to continue reflects poorly on us as a
> community.

This is true, I'm not going to argue about that. However, I think your
conclusion is wrong.

> I'd like to suggest that this be the last time we hear
> about issues like this. If it happens again I'd like to propose a
> graduated scale of irc channel bans, starting at one month, for
> Vitamin.

You're suggesting to ban the single most active supporter on #winehq. I think
this is a bad idea. What we really need to do is to get more people in there
doing support so that people like vitamin can take some time off if they're
about to loose their temper as opposed to kicking annoying (whatever that
means) users.

Personally, I would like to see more people stepping up to help run #winehq
instead of just complaining about the work of one of the very few people who
actually are out there helping users.

Cheers,
Kai

--