#winehq admin troubles

Edward Savage epssyis at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 23:42:29 CST 2007

This thread has become rather long and I don't have time to catch up
completely on it though I'd like to add weight to those commenting on
how Vitamin deals with the channel.

Being one of the many users to suffer his wrath when I first joined
the wine community I can comment on just how off putting he can be.
Having helped extensively in debian and several other channels I
however understand how painful it can be.  I wander in and help in
winehq as often as I can these days and I notice the users we tend to
get are worse than those of other channels, they rarely google, they
do their best not to understand, and they expect far to much.  Though
at the end of the day these are the people we need to be changing and
adding to the community.

Furthermore, I'd like to add the comment that the majority of the time
Vitamin is perfectly calm and collected in his moderating, I'd like to
stress this.  Though some times he acts far outside what is required
of him, no user in need should be banned, _ever_, and kicking should
be reserved for real pains.  Patience is really what is needed here
and it is some thing Vitamin lacks at least some of the time.

While I don't mind the snide attitudes of those helping in the
channel, as they are result of users being dealt with (and I am guilty
of it myself), I would like to see a reduction in the ability to
moderate those users so that they are not abused beyond reason.

At the end of the day you can use words far more effectively to deal
with a nuisance than a ban and this is some thing any one with OP
power needs to understand.

Edward