xrun handling in winealsa.drv

Timofei V. Bondarenko tim at ipi.ac.ru
Fri Nov 9 09:24:11 CST 2007

Maarten Lankhorst wrote:
> Hello Timofei,
>
> Timofei V. Bondarenko schreef:
>> I've noticed the winealsa does not handle alsa XRUNs.
>> In the case of XRUN application hangs.
>>
> I'm aware of the xrun problems in alsa at least the accelerated parts
> (dsoutput/dscapture), it's been on my todo list for a while but I've
> been busy lately. The problems with the accelerated parts are not the
> underruns themselves. They are handled correctly in the places where it
> matters. The problem is how the underruns are handled in the directsound
> software mixer. I haven't taken a look yet at how underruns are handled
> for the not-accelerated system, but I believe that the chance of a
> underrun there is already very low because buffers there usually have a
> latency of at least 300ms.

No matter how low the chance: sound is an real-time task while linux is
not a real-time system. So underruns still possible.
And in case of XRUN widRecorder() tries to read about 4G of data.

Well, I'm a busy man too. So I've wrote a simple patch and sent it to
wine-patches. Please look. May be it will be more clear in C than in my
broken english.

Regards,
	Tim.