Asking Valve for Steam Survey Results

Brian Vincent brian.vincent at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 10:52:50 CST 2007

On Nov 13, 2007 4:45 PM, Scott Ritchie <scott at open-vote.org> wrote:
> Does anyone know whom we can contact at Valve for more specific results?

Here's the answer from Valve to your question:

----

Hey Brian, we would be more than happy to help. I just did a quick query
for the audio device and found 12 out of 8566 results to contain "wine"
in the name of the driver. I did the same for video card and found zero,
if you can give me more details on specific strings or signatures for a
wine user I could have a look for. We just started this survey today so
I can run the queries again once we have a larger sample set.

Our crash reporting system also collects information about the existence
of wine, about 0.4% of the reports are from Wine users (this is for a
couple months of data so a statistically significant sample). We have
around 3 million unique users in a month so that is around 12k wine
users. Given the large majority of crashes are game code related (and
not OS dependant) I suspect this is a fair measure for you.

----

-Brian