Wine and LD_PRELOAD

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmx.at
Sun Nov 18 13:14:41 CST 2007

Am Sonntag, 18. November 2007 17:13:20 schrieb Lionel Tricon:
> Hi wine list,
>
> I am currently working for the next generation of the klik project (1
> application = 1 file) and we actualy face some troubles with picasa which
> is running under linux thanks to wine.
>
> It seems that wine deal badly with the LD_PRELOAD feature which is one of
> the main composant we use to virtualize and execute the application (with
> fuse for the underlying filesystem).
>
> Is there a way to force wine to go through LD_PRELOAD (to overload some
> system calls) ? or this limitation is driven by the architecture ?
I think wine dlopen()s many libraries instead of linking dynamically to them.
This makes the build environment more independent of the runtime environment,
and we can provide binary builds with all features enabled, and they will
still run if the user's system does not have all the libs.

We had an issue like that with libGL.so a long time back, and it was fixed by
changing some parameter to dlopen. Does anyone remember what that was, and if
this can be done for the other libraries too?

Lionel, can you provide us with a list of libraries where LD_PRELOAD does not
work correctly? This should help to track down the bad ldopen calls.