shell32: symlink user's profile shell folders to xdg well known directories [2/2] (try 3)

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Fri Nov 30 05:45:33 CST 2007

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007, Alexandre Julliard wrote:

> "Dan Kegel" <dank at kegel.com> writes:
>
> > I feel like a broken record, but:
> > some apps don't like following symlinks, and the
> > native Windows way to configure what the "My Foo"
> > folders point to is called shell folder redirection;
> > These are documented at
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/242557
> > among other places, and I think Wine supports these
> > registry settings.  Is there any reason we don't want
> > to use these instead of symlinks?
>
> We want the paths to remain valid even if the drive configuration is
> changed, so they have to point somewhere inside the C: drive.

Also, iirc, on the Unix side these directories are supposed to be
movable relatively easily. If we put their path directly in the
registry, we'll get lots of bad copies in the applications MRU lists,
and elsewhere when they change (or when you move the .wine directory to
another account/machine).

      Broadcast message : fin du monde dans cinq minutes, repentez vous !