Are *any* games as popular as World of Warcraft?

Daniel Remenak dtremenak at
Mon Oct 1 13:56:59 CDT 2007

No other single game has the market penetration and staying power of
WoW as things stand.

XFire collects statistics[1] from their (large) network, if you're
interested in "minutes played" as opposed to "copies sold."    Be
aware that it's not a random sample, though; some game communities
(like Call of Duty) have a proportionally large XFire presence
compared to others.  As far as subscriber-driven MMORPGs go,
MMOGCharts[2] is another reasonable source of statistics (note that
Guild Wars and certain other MMOGs are not subscriber driven, so they
won't show up on their lists).

--Daniel Remenak